Monday, June 16, 2014

Ottoman "Retrofitted" Daedalus Class Airship

Taking inspiration from Gouniaf's project to convert a Russian Tunguska I decided to convert one of my favorite airships, the Covenant Daedalus.

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/9702-when-the-ottomans-loot-a-tunguska/

When I realized in 2.0 that the Ottoman Separatists were allied with the Covenant and at war with the Ottoman traditionalists it clicked. What would happen if my traditionalist forces had captured a damaged or unfinished Daedalus in Separatist territory. Well now I don't have to wonder anymore, the Sultan has authorized a prototype be built from the captured Daedalus. It will be named the Lion of Antioch or Antakya Aslan.

The Daedalus before being retrofitted
My first task was to saw off the stacks and center portion of the superstructure to make space for the classic Ottoman Dome. I used a Revell made modelling razor saw to do the job. After sawing the section off of the model I used a modelling knife and some very fine sand paper to level and smooth the new section for the future dome. For the dome I took a Fettah cruiser and cut the off the fore piece of structure leaving the dome, four turrets and back structure with spots for the iconic spires. Below is a pre-glued placement of the new additions.


I added the Ottoman turret just to get an idea of what that would look. I need to find a way to acquire an additional turret as all four of the ones I have are currently being utilized by my dreadnought an battleship. Here is what the model looks like with some additional parts and pieces as well as the spires.


The kitbashed model with minuets all put together.


Basecoated model.


Initial coats of paint. Templar blue for the hull, gold for the domes, a chocolate brown for the wood decking and a light ivory drybrushing over superstructure.


Second, overhead picture of the base colors.


Some additional brass, copper and gold tones added. Silver for the broadsides. Minuets painted, and rivets drybrushed white.


Turret painted with a pewter, copper and scorched metal. Wood decking is drybrushed to make look a little more weathered. Red accents on the engines were added to tie into the red on the rest of the fleet.


Final picture of the finished coverted Ottoman Aslan class airship.

No comments:

Post a Comment